« Home | Benjamin Walker's Theory of Everything » | Margot & The Nuclear So and So's - what a wonderfu... » | Beautiful Tender Music & A Reminder That This Blog... » | The Best Tracks He Downloaded Legally » | The Fiery Furnaces » | Arcade Fire Ready New Album » | Sky Larkin - Somersault (Notes!) » | "Wake up, you sleepyhead! You can sleep when you a... » | A Weekly Blog Sampler » | Josh Ritter - Girl In The War »

The Mountain Goats - Woke Up New

This song is so utterly beautiful, I can hardly take it.

John Darnielle, describes the morning after a relationship ended, and in the way he describes these small subtle details, he exposes his utter despair and feeling of loneliness way better than harsh words ever could.

This is a total heartbreaker and at the same time it’s one of the most captivating songs I’ve heard in a long time.

On the morning when I woke up without you for the first time
I felt free and I felt lonely and I felt scared
And I began to talk to myself almost immediately
Not being used to being the only person there

The first time I made coffee for just myself, I made too much of it
But I drank it all just cause you hate it when I let things go to waste
And I wandered through the house like a little boy lost at the mall
And an astronaut could've seen the hunger in my eyes from space

And I sang
Oh, What do I do? What do I do? What do I do?
What do I do without you?


The New Mountain Goats album “Get Lonely” will be released on August 22nd on 4AD.
(Pre-Order)

The Mountain Goats – Woke Up New (MP3 from EMusic

Amazing, isn't it? This one killed live.

Post a Comment