« Home | I'm From Barcelona - We're From Barcelona Oh my. ... » | The Big Picture Live In Seattle Everyone who know... » | The Quiz » | Gone »

Mountain Goats - No Children

Another reason to absolutely adore the wonderful Largehearted Boy.

I can't really say it any better than the boy so let's do some linking.

There are rare moments at live shows where music fans experience a truly magical moment. Last week, the Mountain Goats swung through California, and John Darnielle's voice was feeling the effects of illness. Truly inspired, he decided to rest his voice and let the audience sing "No Children" from Tallahassee, and the crowd erupted into an indie choir. Though I didn't attend the show (last Tuesday in San Francisco), the recording alone gave me goosebumps.

Mountain Goats: "No Children (live)" [mp3]

This is really unbelievable. Tearjerking. Wonderful. Fantastic. It sounds almost as cheerful as I'm From Barcelona's song I posted yesterday. But the lyrics reveal that it's not your classic ice-cream lickin', singing-along song. it's really not.

The song's original version appears on the album Tallahassee, which you can buy here.